Eastern Mennonite School provides an excellent education that enables students to thrive after high school and make significant contributions as global citizens. Quality private education does have a financial cost, but our EMS families have found their children’s experience is well worth the investment. We anticipate that will be the case for your family too!
EMS is committed to affordable tuition for all families who desire Christian education. The cost of EMS education varies based on your family’s circumstances. Many of our families receive some type of tuition assistance, whether through financial aid, supporting churches, or alumni discount. We encourage you to contact our Director of Business Affairs, Mike Stoltzfus, at (540) 236-6040 to help with your financial planning options and questions if finances are a determining factor for enrollment at EMS.
2015-16 Tuition and Fees
Tuition Rate Discounts
We are grateful for a generous community which supports our Annual Fund. This support allows EMS to offer tuition rates which are lower than the actual cost of an Eastern Mennonite School education.
Tuition rate discounts are listed below and applied in the following order as applicable:
1. Supporting Rate: This discounted rate is awarded to EMS alumni, employees of Virginia Mennonite Conference endorsed ministries and to families who attend a church that financially supports Eastern Mennonite School through participation in our Annual Fund. For a complete list of Supporting Rate churches, click here.
2. Partner Rate: This discounted rate is awarded to families who attend a church that provides a Congregational Aid Plan of 50% or greater to subsidize tuition cost. This rate is offered in recognition and appreciation of significant congregational partnership in making Eastern Mennonite School tuition affordable for church members.
3. Multiple Children: EMS offers a multiple child tuition discount for families with three or more children enrolled. Please ask our Admissions Counselor for details.
4. Early Application: New K-12 students who apply by February 15 will have their $50 application fee waived.
Most costs connected to academic programs are included in tuition. Fees and incidental costs are listed below:
1. Student General Fee: Helps to cover student co-curricular expenses, yearbooks, textbooks, and technology. Grades 6-12 ($350). Grades K-5 ($305).
2. Capital Improvement Fee: Helps to pay for the financial costs of our most recent campus addition. Grades 6-12 ($350 per family).
3. Lunch (Middle and High School): $3.40 daily or annual pre-pay $578* (covers 180 lunches for the price of 170). A free and reduced lunch program is available for qualifying families. Contact
for more information. *Pre-pay lunch is required for international students. Elementary hot lunch options are available several times per week. Please contact 433-36367 for details and information on pricing.
4. Tutoring: Intensive individualized instruction is available and may be required for some students, with an additional cost of $925/quarter.
5. Driver’s Education: Available for 10th grade students for $335.
6. Transportation: Most students/families provide their own transportation to school or find rides with other students. EMS can assist in providing contact information of other students/families in your area for those interested in a possible carpool.
Eastern Mennonite Elementary School Shuttle: $3/round trip, $72/quarter 1-way, $144/quarter/round trip Waynesboro/Augusta County: (round trip) $375/quarter per rider or $500/quarter per family
East Rockingham County and North Rockingham/Shenandoah Counties (mornings only). Pricing varies depending on route. Please contact (540) 236-6000 for details.
7. Co-curricular: EMS offers a variety of co-curricular and field experiences ranging in costs, such as E-Term, Discovery trips, Touring Choir, Senior trip, and occasional field trips. These opportunities are encouraged, but optional. Further details will be given in advance of the trips.
8. AP Testing: $95 per test.
9. Auditing and homeschool options: Available for high school students and elementary students for specialty classes. Contact (540) 236-6021 for details.
All families desiring financial aid must submit an application to Financial Aid for School Tuition (F.A.S.T.), an independent third party responsible for assessing financial need. Need-based tuition assistance is granted to families using a formula that takes into account family income, size, and other factors. F.A.S.T. requires completion of an online application, copies of tax forms, and a $38 non-refundable payment. To fill out F.A.S.T application, go to the link on the left side of the webpage.